Skip to main content

2-year-old early education

Funded early education is not available to all two-year-old children living in England. Families must meet certain criteria - see Free education and childcare for 2-year-olds on the GOV.UK website for more information.

To offer this entitlement to parent/carers in Norfolk, registered childcare providers must follow the early year’s foundation stage framework and meet the following criteria:

  • Rated 'Good' or 'Outstanding' by Ofsted
  • Recently registered with Ofsted and awaiting first full Ofsted inspection

Search the Norfolk Community Directory for childcare providers offering funded places.

Proving eligibility and claiming funding

Some families will receive a letter from Norfolk County Council about a funded place. These families will need to prove they are eligible by completing a simple check on the Norfolk Education Online website.

This check may require additional information to verify eligibility such as:

  • TC602 Tax Credit Letter
  • Universal Credit Statement
  • Letter confirming child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance
  • Special Education Needs (SEN) Statement or an Education, Health and Care Plan
  • Court order
  • Adoption certification

If eligibility is confirmed, they should take the email message (which includes a 6-digit number) to their chosen childcare provider to arrange the funded place (subject to availability).

Once arranged, to receive the funding, eligible families must complete and sign a parent/carer claim form.

This form should be retained by the childcare provider once the early education requirements have been agreed.

To claim funding on behalf of families, providers should update the online provider portal.

If you have a query about funding, email the Early Years Finance team at, or call 01603 222300 – Option 2.

For further guidance about offering the entitlement in Norfolk, please refer to the Early education funding toolkit.

Other information

Marketing materials

Leaflets and posters about early education are available. Contact Family Information via to find out more.

Related files and downloads